Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The invaluable fees

I saw a 85 year old lady in the office today evening. She was advised an operation (Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy) by a leading Surgeon of Chandigarh a couple of days back. She heard from one of her colleagues in Punjab Secreteriat about 'ethics followed'  at our clinic. So she rang me up in the afternoon to fix the appointment and came over  in the evening.

To my utter surprise, the old lady had just occassional symptoms (mild pain in epigastric region[upper tummy] lasting for few minutes) and ultrasound showed NO stones at all, just a little sludge. The symtoms appeared more like acid-peptic in nature rather than biliary colic. Her latest echo showed that she had Mitral regurugitation, Aortic Stenosis and Aortic Regurgitation (heart was very weak).

After prescribing Esmoprazole (antacid), I reassured the accompanying daughter that she doesn't need any operation as of now and there are 95% chances are that she won't need any ever.

The eyes of the patient's daughter and son were moist, full with gratitute and thanking me generously. I humbly accepted the fees, which was indeed invaluable.

No comments:

Post a Comment